Listen Live on  
 

98.1 WKDD

Akron's Hit Music
 
 

Mall at Tuttle Crossing briefly evacuated

 
Mall at Tuttle Crossing briefly evacuated
Posted Friday, May 23rd 2014 @ 4pm  by WTVN Newsroom

DUBLIN, Ohio (WTVN) -- Shoppers at the Mall at Tuttle Crossing were evacuated shortly after 4 p.m. due to smoke coming from an electrical room.

"One of the panels that distributes the power throughout the building failed. We don't know whether that was a violent failure due to an overload condition or what, but that panel failed and their back-up power did not kick on," said Columbus Fire Assistant Chief Karry Ellis told our news partner ABC6.

The problem knocked out power to the mall.

At least one person was temporarily trapped in an elevator when the power went out.

"Those are hydraulic elevators so once we get control of those we can bleed the hydraulic pressure off and lower the elevator and they got them out pretty quickly," Ellis said.

No injuries have been reported. A call to the mall was not answered.

(Photo courtesy ABC6)

Recommended Stories

More from 98.1 WKDD

*