When it comes to playing defense, All-Pro free safety Earl Thomas rarely gives up any ground… but not off the field.
Because just one day after NFL Network reported that Thomas was not going to report to the team without a contract… yeah, he reported yesterday, ending his holdout.
Although, as you can imagine, he was not happy about it… AT ALL.
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Thomas went through a walk-through in the morning and practiced in the afternoon but did not go so far as to say whether Thomas would start Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos.
Carroll also wouldn’t say if the team is waiving the roughly $1.6-million in fines that Thomas is subject to after skipping camp.
But Thomas had something to say addressing his absence from the team in an Instagram post reading:
“I worked my whole life for this... I’ve never let my teammates, city or fans down as long as I’ve lived and don’t plan on starting this weekend. With that being said, the disrespect has been well noted and will not be forgotten. Father Time may have an undefeated record but best believe I plan on taking him into triple overtime when it comes to my career.”
Thing is, it may not have been disrespect so much as apathy as the Dallas Cowboys showed mad respect for his skills, offering a second-round pick over the past week, but that the Seahawks wanted more.
Wow—seems like they know how good he is but just don’t want to pay him… or lose him.
Something tells me opponents are in for some brutal shots from Thomas on Sundays this season—while Seattle will be taking those brutal shots from him the other six days of the week.